Terms And Condition
The goal of the Elocution competition is to encourage the skills and talents related to the art of speaking in public for the goal of sharing one’s faith.
- The topic will be informed to the participant one week before the competition.
- Participants will be given two suggested key verses from which they can anchor their talk. But they are free to use either one, or any verses which they feel best illustrate their topic.
- The speech may not exceed 5 minutes in duration. The time limit will be strictly enforced. A 30 second warning will be given.
- The speaker is expected to memorize their speech, and is not allowed to read any part of the speech from papers, notes, or cards. Use of index cards is allowed, but only for reference of outline and key points. Reading verbatim from note cards is discouraged and will result in reduction in the participants score.
- Points will be awarded based on the following criteria:
i. Greeting & Introduction of the subject
ii. Exposition of the main theme (Conciseness & Clarity of message, Originality/Points of interest, Incorporation of Personal references, Quotations & Biblical References)
iii. Moral & Practical Application
- SPEAKING PRESENTATION
i. Memorization (evaluated by pauses and amount of referring to index cards)
ii. Verbal Clarity (Annunciation and pronunciation of words, voice strength and projection)
iii. Presentation/Speaking Style (Mannerisms, Audience contact and voice modulation, Ability to keep the audience engaged by their speaking style)
- The decision of the judges will be final.